The Evolution of a Song


I recently made my 4th recording of this song.  It started off as this crude but promising idea way back in March of 2001:

It didn’t even have a title at that time.  I had another song idea that I had given the title, “Willow Springs.”  But in 2010, I decided to make a more official recording of this piece, and I decided to give that title to the finished product.  This version had two tracks (rhythm and lead):

While the 2nd version was an improvement, it makes me cringe to listen to it now.  Why did I play it so fast???  Anyhow, by 2013 I was starting to get much more serious about writing and recording my music.  Around that time, I thought it would be interesting to record Willow Springs with an electric guitar.  So I created a new version.  This time, in addition to the two guitar tracks, it had a drum track (using drum loops):

Okay, that was interesting.  Fast forward to February 2015.  While testing out some new headphones, I started recording Willow Springs again – this time with my Martin DC Aura.  I was determined to do it right this time, so I added a couple of drum tracks and then re-recorded the guitar parts (the first try got a bit out of sync with the click track).  Then I added a bass track using my Rickenbacker.  This was the result: